LinguaFolio Online is an online language learning portfolio that promotes autonomous learning through formative assessment.
LinguaFolio Online is organized around the NCSSFL-ACTFL Can-Do Statements. LinguaFolio Online supports articulation by providing a clear and commonly accepted description of language proficiency based on the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines.
Learners can set goals based on the Can-Do Statements, track their progress toward accomplishing the statements, and upload work samples to showcase their abilities. Learners are enabled to truly understand the differing levels of language proficiency through examining and practicing the language functions embodied by the Can-Do Statements. They can create evidence to include in their portfolios on a regular basis to showcase their work, which helps them see how they are building the capacity to use the target language. Learners have a clear voice in tailoring their learning experiences to their own needs, wants, and interests.
“I feel like LinguaFolio is the best effort I have seen at helping learners to structure what they’re learning and how they’re going to apply it.”
– Betsy Burton, ESL Teacher
Additionally, LinguaFolio Online and the free mobile application LFO to Go facilitate language learning outside of the classroom. Learners can easily capture evidence when and where they use it – in local stores, in restaurants, or online. Each subscription allows learners to work on their portfolio for an entire year. In this way, LinguaFolio Online facilitates buy-in that learning is a lifelong, ubiquitous process.
LinguaFolio Online helps learners:
- Set personal learning goals and articulate a plan to achieve them
- Engage in authentic language use
- Document language learning experiences both within and outside of the classroom
- Evaluate and describe their language proficiencies
- Identify and use learning strategies
LinguaFolio Online helps teachers:
- Provide guidance for learners in setting goals
- Differentiate student learning goals and experiences based on the language abilities of individual learners
- Guide students in self-reflection and self-assessment
- Engage in prompt, holistic feedback to learners based on the evidence that they collect
- Reflect on and refine learning experiences created for the classroom
LinguaFolio Online helps schools and programs:
- Set long-term goals for learners that are articulated through the entirety of a language program
- Facilitate articulation and alignment among language programs and levels based on a clear and commonly accepted description of proficiency
- Valorize heritage language learning as well as the learning of multiple languages
- Refine instruction and develop programs based on the strengths, needs, and interests of learners
Getting the most out of LinguaFolio and LinguaFolio Online
LinguaFolio Online is most effective when it is woven into the fabric of the language learning curriculum. When planning to use LinguaFolio Online, educators should engage in intentional and articulated backwards design using the NCSSFL-ACTFL Can-Do Statements as learning targets. These learning targets should be well-communicated with learners and provide inspiration for classroom learning activities so that the classroom is proficiency-based.
To help facilitate this approach, we encourage teachers to download our welcome packet. The welcome packet includes a unit planner and provides examples of how to integrate LinguaFolio Online into popular curricular approaches.
The Center for Applied Second Language Studies at the University of Oregon designed LinguaFolio Online in partnership with the National Council of State Supervisors for Languages (NCSSFL) based on LinguaFolio®, which is derived from the European Language Portfolio.
The STARTALK Program administered by the National Foreign Language Center at the University of Maryland and the U.S. Department of Education Title VI, under grant #P229A140004, support development of LinguaFolio Online. Contents do not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department of Education nor imply endorsement by the federal government.